Working for us
Working at Uckfield College means joining a vibrant, dedicated and skilled team, who are committed to working collaboratively to achieve real excellence for our students. When recruiting, we place great value on employing staff who have a positive, enthusiastic outlook and who are willing to work hard and be committed to achieving the highest possible standards, which will in turn provide our students with the skills and qualifications that will set them apart in their future life.
Teaching staff at the College are expected to be Teaching and Learning ‘Activists’, in other words to be committed to continued professional development in the belief that learning is for life and that practice can always be improved and refined. We are wholly committed to our staff’s professional development and believe in providing differentiated research-based professional development that inspires, supports and challenges.
In addition to comprehensive NQT and ITT programmes, we support staff at all stages in their careers, both to keep up to date with the best practices in teaching their subject and also to support them in developing their career as leaders and managers in schools. The following gives a flavour of the significant range of CPD activities our colleagues engage with:
- Thorough induction for all new staff, including Google Apps for Education
- Personalised yearly teaching and learning focus, shared with other colleagues
- Weekly joint Professional Learning sessions with other teachers
- Teaching and Learning room and intranet resources to support the different elements of outstanding teaching and learning
- High quality INSET days and twilights
- Extensive Middle Leadership induction and development activities
- Personalised line management
- Coaching opportunities and training
- Off-site subject-specific training
- Peer observation programme
- Senior Leadership programmes, including Aspiring Headteachers
For our highly valued support staff there are regular training opportunities and a dedicated INSET day each year. We believe strongly in working collaboratively and are also proud of our our long standing participation in the Wealden Partnership. This includes joint professional learning through leadership programmes and an annual joint INSET day which brings four local secondary schools together to strive for excellence through collaboration.
Perhaps the real strength of professional development though is, more simply, the opportunity to work alongside and learn from other excellent, wholly committed colleagues on a day-to-day basis. Visitors to the College frequently comment on its warm and supportive atmosphere and the strong relationships between staff. This level of ongoing support and challenge provides the bedrock for colleagues to continue to grow professionally, so that they, as well as the students, can develop into the very best that they can be.